Sunday, May 3, 2009

WE DID IT!

Last weekend was one of the best weekends EVER... Nancy and I flew to California (with no kids) on Thursday. We went down to see Staci, meet Zee and run. We had a fun Friday until we went to see the course we would be running Saturday. It was the hilliest (if thats a word) course I have ever seen. I didn't know on a turn around marathon you could have uphill both ways - but they did! There were two hills that we honestly jogged up on our tip toes because they were so steep. First our goal was to be under 4:20. Then after we saw all the hills we decided there was no way we would finish under 5 hours. Friday night there wasn't much sleep that happened, at least for me. I was pretty nervous that I had talked Staci - who just had a baby 2 months ago - into doing this marathon... Honestly, I wasn't sure we were going to make it anymore. We got up Saturday morning to strong winds and a little rain - could it get any worse? We went down to the start and the wind was blowing. Luckily we were only there about 25 minutes before the race started. The race was a great - the first 2 miles had wind and then there was a breeze and about 60 degree weather. A light mist filled the air... The hills were HARD. At about mile 22 I hit a wall and was done. It was a 2 miles uphill slope with NO BREAKS - VERY HARD. Somehow we made it to the top. Then at mile 24 Staci hadn't hit her wall and she didn't want to finish any more. It was so good to have each other for encouragement. We both finished at exactly the same time of 4:07:44. We were so happy with our time. We never thought we were going to be able to do it that fast. It helped us to know we had Trent, Nancy, and Staci's kids waiting for us at the finish. Nancy finished the half marathon a couple minutes under her goal, 2:42. Staci & I took 4th in our age group and 8th out the women. We even won a prize! We had such a fun time and want to make it a annual event to attend. Anyone who wants to come next year - please do!




10 thoughts:

Nancy Mc said...

Thanks for letting me tag along. It was so much fun. I am wanting to do it in 2010, but I have got to quit the one exercise of putting food in my mouth. I realize that is the only way I will improve my running. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Your amazing!

Trisha said...

Wow! It brought tears to my eyes to read about the marathon. I admire you guys so much. I wish I had the "love to run" attitude you and Staci have. Congratulations! I am so proud of you.

ronnieandjess said...

Congratulations! That is so awesome. I am glad that you where able to have so much fun. I can not even image running for 4 hours, that is crazy. Good Job!!

Staci said...

The weekend went entirely too fast! Thank you so much for coming down and for getting me through my first marathon!

Nicole said...

That is awesome that the two of you did it together. I'm glad you beat your time. Can't wait to see you soon.

jamck said...

Nice race!

Jeri Dawn said...

Way to go Carol! You guys are awesome!

The McKenna Family said...

That is so freaking awesome! I bet it is so rewarding to finish something like that!!

Trent and Amy said...

I can't believe that you guys did that and in such a good time. I also can't believe that Stacy just had a baby. Pretty cool!