Sunday, May 17, 2009

OGDEN HALF MARATHON

This is Nancy, me, and Suelyn after we all finished the half marathon - 13.1 miles. We were waiting for Jason, my cousin, to come in from the full - 26.2 miles.
Suelyn and I finishing the half marathon.

Rayce, Boston, Nancy, & Sierra finishing

Rayce ran the last block with Nancy and he thought it was the neatest thing. He keeps asking me if I remember he ran with "Grandma Nancy" and they went through water.


Friday Suelyn, Rayce, my mom and I left for Ogden. Suelyn and I were going to run the half marathon and my mom was running the 5k. We had to be to the buses by 5:00 am on Saturday morning so we were up by 4:10 am! The buses took us up the canyon and we were there by 5:30 am... The race didn't start until 7:00. It was freezing cold - which I knew it would be because it was freezing cold last year when I did it. I had told Sueyln to bring sweatpants, a sweatshirt, and an extra shirt to wear at the start of the race because it is so cold. But then I forgot to bring all of that for myself. Because we had stood there and shivered for 1 1/2 hours -when the race started my muscles were very tight. I was nervous I woudn't be able to keep going. My body hurt so bad because I was freezing. By mile 5 I had warmed up and we were rolling pretty good. Our goal was to be under 2 hours and we finished in 1:48 - we were very happy with our time. (And we didn't even have our IPods) Our average mile was 8:18. It was so fun to have Suelyn there to do it with. I am so glad she came with me. I love doing races. I love the atmosphere, the challenge, and especially finishing. Suelyn and I took 17th out of 139 in our age group. I don't know what place we took overall or in the womens. We had a really fun weekend. We got back Saturday night and now today (Sunday) we are leaving again for Salt Lake. Dusty is going out for some classes and so we are going to stay in a hotel and swim, go to the zoo, and play for a couple of days.

3 thoughts:

Nancy Mc said...

You are amazing! 1:48!!! Congrats! For Rayce-thanks for helping me finish my race. I really needed you help to get me to that finish line!
It was so fun to have you here-as always-wish you have could stayed longer. (Cale came right after you left-and boy we were all SURPRISED to see him.)

Nicole said...

You always do better than you think, and someone ends up missing you. Way to go. Glad you are coming back again.

suelyn w said...

We are awesome huh! (I have to validate myself!) I seriously would have quit at mile 10 if it had not been for you, so thanks for pushing me!