When Wayke was in the hospital in February they told us that he had asthma and it had gone away but he would probably fight it later in his life. He has never had a problem with it again until recently. A couple of nights ago about midnight Wayke started coughing really hard. He hadn't been coughing at all and so Dusty went in to check on him. He was sitting up in his bed coughing and couldn't catch his breath. He asked for water and Dusty brought him into our room and gave him water. We all laid back down and he started coughing really hard again and was having a VERY hard time breathing. He was trying to inhale and you could hear him trying to get air. Dusty and I shot out of bed and watched him. He was struggling so hard to breath and would cry when he had enough air. We didn't know what was wrong and were trying to decide to go to the ER or call Mark (who is a nurse). When he had enough air he asked again for a drink of water. We gave him one and he was still really struggling hard to breath. The sound of him trying to get enough air still is echoing through my head. It was one of the worst sounds I have ever heard. He was struggling so hard to breath and we were helpless. After he had his drink of water and seemed to be getting enough air. He laid back down and fell asleep. Moments later he did the exact same thing again - started struggling for air and trying to cry. We did the same thing again and gave him a drink of water and it helped him catch his breath and again, he fell asleep. Dusty gave him a blessing while he slept. Wayke never coughed one more time through the night and was perfectly healthy the next day. (With the exception of a runny nose!) I made a few phone calls the next day to see if we should take him to the doctor. We found out he had an asthma attack. It was the worst sound I have ever heard listening to my child trying to catch his breath and he couldn't do it. We have now bought a nebulizer so we will be better prepared. I would like to say it will never happen again but I think I would just be wishful thinking.
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 thoughts:
How scary! I hope that the you never have to hear that sound again. I can not imagine how you must have felt. The Priesthood is powerful. What a blessing it is to have it in our families, and one wrthy to give the blessings when needed.
I had to cold chills and was nervous for you just reading about it. That is way scary. The thought came to me yesterday that I should call and check on you, but I told myself let me finish this and then I will take a break and relax and call. Well that never happened obviously. I need to listen more don't I.
Hope that things go better and that that don't happen again. Blessings are blessings aren't they.
Oh ya HAPPY BIRTHDAY RIDGE. I can't believe it. Time flyes.
Oh I can't imagine how scary that would be! I'm sorry you had to go through that. It is so amazing how powerful the priesthood is! I'm glad you now know that you can expect it in the future and that you can be prepared for it, although I hope it never happens again!
Oh lady, I'm so sorry, it is so scary. I'm so amazed at how the priesthood is so powerful. Hopefully if it does happen again, the nebulizer works. Asthma is no fun, and is such a scary thing to deal with.
all i can say is holly cow. I would have been freaking out i'm sure.
I tagged you. Check out my blog to find out more. Yes, I blogged :) Miss you!
Hey, it worked!! I was thinking, man she hasn't updated her blog in a while becuase my blog shows your last update as a month ago. For some reason it wasn't working. Anyway, I hope your little one is better and doesn't have that happen again!!!!!
Post a Comment