Wednesday, January 16, 2013

RIDGES DIAGNOSIS

We went to a Dr appointment at Primary Childrens Hospital yesterday for Ridge. We found out he has Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT).  This means he had extra tissue on his heart that takes over the AV node that normally sends out the heart beat.It is like having an extra circuit in his heart. When it takes over the beat doesnt leave the heart it continues in a circle so it gets faster and faster. Sometimes it stops on its own other times it could keep going until we get to an ER or even possibly wouldnt stop until surgery. He had a ECG (i thought it was called EKG).  That part of the test came back normal which is good news because he doesnt have WPW (there are different forms of SVT) which would be life threatening.  Now Dusty and I need to decide if we want Ridge to have surgery and they would freeze or burn the extra tissue off or keep him on the medicine. I don't like the medicine because it keeps his heart rate down and it changes Ridge. He isn't his hyper self (which is nice, I just don't want to change him). But if we do the surgery, there is a 2% chance he would have to have a pacemaker after the surgery. (If they burn it) If they freeze it there is no chance for a pacemaker but a 10% chance it would come back. They do not know the exact location of the tissue and wouldnt know that until they get in for surgery. Dusty and I are weighing our options and going to take our time before we make our decision.

2 thoughts:

Nicole said...

I am glad they found out what is wrong. I am sorry that you have to weigh your options, but I am glad you have them. I will keep you in my prayers. I know you will make the best decision for him and your family.

Nancy Mc said...

Ditto to Nicole's comment. I too know that you will make the right decision. It would be hard to decide. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. ♥