I deserve MOTHER OF THE YEAR... And it is only January 2nd - but I highly doubt someone can top what I just did! Let me start from the beginning. Last Thursday, December 27 Ridge was playing farm and he became very irritable (which is not like Ridge). Everything was wrong with the world, he was whinny, crying, and just miserable. I finally said, "Ridge, do you feel sick?" He responded with "My heart is beeping fast." Well, he has told me this a few times in the past but I have never been in the room when he told me. I have always assumed he was running around and just got his heart rate up and just needed to sit down for a minute. This time I thought it was weird because I was sitting in the room when it happened and he was only playing farm. So I searched HIGH and LOW for a stop watch in my house to see what his heart rate was... NOTHING. After about 8 minutes I had a brilliant idea and used my phone. I counted as fast as I could (and still missed some beats) and I figured his heart rate was over 200 beats a minute. So I did what every normal person would do... Searched the Internet to see if that was a normal heart rate. Of course this was taking a long time and the heart rate was very strong in his chest, neck, and head. (You could see it beating very fast and strong). I began calling the nurses that I knew and the first one said it wasn't normal and I needed to get him an appointment. By this time, about 15 minutes had past and he was acting better and you couldn't see it in his neck and head like I had before - so I thought (whatever it was) it was over. But I got a hold of my brother-in-law and he called the ER doctor and they thought I should take Ridge down. We all know I take pride in the fact I can say .... "It has been 18 months since anyone in my family has had to go to the doctor. (blah blah)" Honestly, it is more because I have felt stupid so many times for going when "I didn't need to" so I am scared to get laughed at for going, so DUMB I know, but it is the truth. So I wasn't super excited to take him. We got down there and before I could even get him checked in the ER nurse was out getting him. They made it look like an emergency. Within seconds he was hooked to 10 monitors, getting an IV, and checking his blood pressure. His heart rate was 250 a minute when we got there. (One of the reason I am mother of the year, I thought the episode was over). Apparently, that is a high heart rate and to make a really long story short (er) they had to give him medicine to reset his heart. His problem is the top of his heart, the "electronics" aren't telling the bottom of his heart when to pump correctly. So because it has happened in the past - this isn't the first time - they are more concerned and we will be seeing a cardiologist next week. So, the mother of the year part. He is on medication to keep his heart pumping slow. It has to be taken every 8 hours. I am scared my children will have an allergic reaction to medication so I let them "test" it before I give them a full dose. Tonight I gave him his first dose. I read 8 ML every 8 hours. So I gave him 4 ML to test first... The bottle really says 1 ML every 8 hours. I gave him 4X the recommend amount... Are you kidding me? I frantically call the Dr. and I need to check his pulse every 30 min for 4 hours... And I gave him the medicine at 9:15 pm. So I am praying his heart rate stays up and can't believe my fear has come true... I can't read either!
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 thoughts:
Don't be so hard on yourself. Too many times I have misread or misunderstood what meds were to be given. Sometimes our thinking just gets out of whack.
I hope things go well for Ridge and you all get back to being your great NORMAL selves.
Oh how scary for the both of you. I sure hope they can figure out what is going on with the poor little guy. Good luck, and keep us updated.
Post a Comment