Tuesday, July 7, 2009

WAYKE'S SKIN

Wayke has always had the best skin. He tans very well and he gets very dark. He doesn't sunburn - really, skin you would die for. Recently he started getting very white blotchy spots on his back. I thought he had eczema so I poured the lotion to him. The spots got a lot worse on his back - like 50 of them. They were the size of about a penny. I again, thought they were eczema and tried to lotion him up a couple times a day. Meanwhile, we are tyring to get him on insurance and he can't go to the doctor for a year - since his pneumonia - to qualify to get on insurance with the rest of the family. I make an appointment but decide to cancel it because they think they will let him on insurance. I find out last week that he is now covered under our plan... Big relief - now I can take him to a doctor. Over the weekend the spots start moving. His skin looks like it is loosing the pigment and I wonder if he has a skin disease. His back, which was once very dark, is now almost white. His arms, which were very dark, have spots on them and on Sunday night I notice they moving to his face. NOW, that is one place I REALLY didn't want them to go. I make an appointment first thing on Monday. Nicole is nice enough to wait to go home so she can watch my other children while I go. I show the spots to the doctor and he too thinks he has a skin disease... CRAP! He says he wants to go look some things up. He walks back in the room after a while and says - have you used cocoa butter lotion on him... Hmm, ya - that is what I used TODAY. He shows me a book and you can get a yeast infection on your skin if it is humid and you use really oily lotions - which is what I have been using. It mostly happens in young adults unless you use cocoa butter lotion on kids. Now, will his skin return to normal... YES - after one day of using the prescription he got - it has already improved tremendously. The spots were so noticeable when people saw him it is one of the first questions they asked me, what is wrong with his skin. Now, you can tell a little bit but it just looks like he had a sunburn and is peeling a little. BIG RELIEF his skin won't stay like that forever :) He is getting his great tan back. We even went to the pool today and a couple people commented on how tan my boys are. Good thing they got their dads skin!

4 thoughts:

Nicole said...

I'm glad his skin is already getting better. Thanks so much for such an awesome weekend. You guys are the best.

Nancy Mc said...

Glad that it is not some terrible disease. (I was thinking MJ when we talked about it.) It was so good to talk to you today. Loved it!

Staci said...

I'm glad that it's already getting better. The doctor must have stepped into the other room to google it too! LOL

Nancy Mc said...

I keep checking for an update. youmust be so busy having lots of fun that you do not have time to blog. Hope all is going well.