Thursday, March 15, 2012

I GOT ANSWERS

This picture does not do justice to how Wayke's skin really looks.  Wayke has fought ezcema for years.  I have taken him to many doctors that have told me - I am using the wrong lotion, he needs steriods, his skin is weak.  I would change lotion and it would help for a while, but always came back.  I put him on a lot of prescriptions again, it would help for a while and then always come back.  When Wayke was 18 months old his teeth were so bad I was told they all needed caps.  I blamed myself because he was still on a bottle and he ate candy.  I did think it was odd by 18 months his teeth were that bad but what did I know, I was just the mom!  Wayke also has leg cramps almost nightly.  They are so bad he cries because of the pain.  Again, I spoke to doctors about them and they were "growing pains".  I thought that was weird that none of my other kids experience growing pains, only Wayke...  I have thought for a while that there was something going inside his body but I wasn't willing to get it checked out.  Every time I took him to the doctor they made me feel like I just wanted his problem labeled and it was nothing more than dry skin.  I FINALLY GOT ANSWERS!  And I feel 100% happy with them!  I have an Aunt that is Celiac.  As she explained her symptoms to me and what her body did with the gluten and why she couldn't have it - it made me start thinking about Wayke.  I felt like his body didn't absorb any nutrients that he ate.  When you look at Wayke, his eyes are dark and sunken in.  He almost always looks like he has the flu. So last week I called a doctor and told them I wanted Wayke tested for Celiac.  Yesterday I found out that Wayke has severe allergies to milk products and gluten.  (Which means he may have celiac but the doctor hopes to get him over it) When he eats milk products his body attacks it like it is the flu because it doesn't like it.  Which then stresses his body out to.  Your body produces yeast to break down the food you eat.  Because his body doesn't break down gluten and milk he has a lot of excess yeast in his body.  That makes him crave sugar.  Which Wayke wants sugar all day every day.  The doctor also told me that his digestive systems looks terrible.  So - the solution: No gluten and milk products for 3 weeks and he will be taking alot of medicine to try to fix his digestive system.  Then in 3 weeks I can introduce him back to a single milk product once a day to see how is body reacts.  If it reacts bad - back off the milk product.  Then try a gluten product and do the same thing.  The doctor is fairly certain Wayke will be able to have milk products and gluten again.  But right now it could go any way.  If his body can't tolorate them - he will never have them again.  His body may only tolorate one of them and he won't be able to have the other one.  As his mother it seems to me his body has a harder time with milk products then gluten.  If he has to stay completly away from one of them I would bet it will be the milk.  BUT - I have been wrong many times in my life and wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong again. In 6 weeks we will go back and see how he is doing.  So for now, I am off to the grocery store to buy Wayke his own selection of food.   

3 thoughts:

Nicole said...

I am glad you got some answers. Good luck with the next six weeks. You will do great, because you are such an awesome lady!!!

Nancy Mc said...

B+ for sure. I think mom's can know when they have the answer. Ditto to Nicole. You can do this. If I can help in any way, let me know.

Jenny Carlton said...

Crazy I have heard more and more people have issues with gluten and milk products. Poor kiddo the food is hard to get use to and expensive. Been there, done that. Hope it works out for ya!!