Saturday, February 16, 2013

PACK MEETING & SCHOOL

Rayce had pack meeting on Wednesday and it was the Blue and Gold Banquet. He announced the program and the flag ceremony. Rayce did a very good job. They each had to make a cake and the theme was Under the Sea. So he used blue and yellow (the scout colors) and make a lake with fish swimming in it. Again, I can't believe how much he is growing up. He is so fun to do things with. On a side note, Rayce has Mr. Rasband as a teacher. Rayce loves him, it is his first boy teacher and they do a lot of PE and watch movies at school. He also never has any homework. Mr. Rasband seems very easy going AND he also had 30 kids in the class, which I think are a lot for a teacher.  I have been concerned all year with how Rayce was doing at school. I would talk to Mr. Rasband and he was say Rayce is great. I decided to go talk to the principal about his last test scores. Apparently Rayce isn't doing so well. He has dropped a lot on his scores which greatly concerns me and also Mrs. Slaugh. Rayce is not a self motivated kid, which is fine, but he needs a teacher who pushes him. I am very concerned with were he will be next year and how much more he can drop. He has always been much higher than District and National average and now he is equal. He dropped 18 points in is reading. Again, Mr. Rasband is fun for Rayce but I don't know how much work they are doing at school. We are trying to decide what to do. We may pull him out for half a day and I think in 2 hours we can get a lot of things done. Our other choice is he will have to do homework for a couple hours when he gets home from school. I didn't like that option because I believe they go to school for 7 hours, they should have free time and family time when they get home. But, I think he is getting plenty of free time at school so a little homework won't hurt him! I am going to think about it for about a week, I don't want to make an irrational decision then we will decide. He also has been sent out in the hall for talking a messing around when he was asked to quit. That is not ok with Dusty and I so he is now working on respecting his teachers and others time.

2 thoughts:

Nicole said...

I wonder if third grade changes a lot of kids? I understand that his teacher is not so great, but Boston has seemed to change a lot this year as well. I hope you can figure out what is best for all of you.

Nancy Mc said...

Pack meeting can be so fun. (I was just asked to be the assistant to the cub master...haven't decided if I will say yes. Why do they want old people doing that?)
Love the cake. Big decision about school. YIKES!