On Saturday I ran my 4th marathon in Big Cottonwood Canyon. I asked Nancy and Jason if they would like to come, I knew it would help me out a ton... And they are fun! Terri ran the half marathon. We left Friday afternoon because I had a dentist appointment to get my new teeth, which I was so excited about. The new teeth were put in and off to the expo we went. We picked up our numbers then off to the hotel for a dinner made by Nancy. It was the perfect dinner before a race. Jason gave me some much needed advice then it was off to bed to try to sleep. Well that didn't happen and at 4am it was time to arise to be to the bus by 4:30. Terri and I had to take different buses but we survived. My ride was hectic, a bus got stuck about 3 miles from the start. They told us we had to walk to the start... No way! Ok, yes way because it was still dark and I wasn't staying in the canyon alone. We start walking and made it about a mile and here come the buses. Needless to say we didn't start on time and we didn't know when we would start. I didn't know when I should eat my breakfast, didn't want to eat to early or late. But about 7:10 we were off. The first 3 miles was a very steep down hill. I could feel a little side ache coming on and thought this will be a long race! After miles I felt a little better. It wasn't until about 9 I took a bathroom break and I finally felt good and didn't feel like I had a side ache. About mile 13 I was at 1 hour 53 minutes. I figured if I dropped a little time I could make my 4 hour goal but I couldn't slow down to much. At mile 14 I saw Nancy and it was a heavenly sight. I can't believe the motivation to keep going that gives you to see someone that you know. By mile 17 I was out of the canyon and feeling good. Nancy and I would leap frog and it was so nice. I would tell her I needed something and she had it ready for me the next time I stopped. I actually was feeling better and better as the miles were going. Jason was around mile 10 and again, it gave me more motivation to see someone! I kept a good pace and then about mile 22 I was starting to get tired. I made it to mike 23 and really wanted to walk. But there Nancy was to encourage me to keep going. By mile 24 my legs were very tired but I had my 4 hour goal in mind. At mile 25.66 my legs felt like they couldn't go anymore. I said I will walk until 25.75 then I have to go. I walked for just a minute and saw Nancy one more time and knew I had to finish strong. I started running again and finished in 3 hours 51 minutes! I was very happy with my time, that was a PR! I am so thankful Terri came with me and Nancy and Jason were kind enough to cheer us on!!!
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 thoughts:
I have said it before, and I'll say it again AMAZING!!! That is pretty awesome that Jason and Nancy came to support you.
Ditto to the AMAZING!!! A PR for you!
It was so fun to be there and watch you attain your goal. Thanks for letting me crash your party at the hotel. It is fun to be able to cheer you on. Kind of like payback when you told me that I could do a marathon, way back when.
It was fun to meet Terry.
Post a Comment